Tuesday, September 22, 2009

supernatural running

July 15, 2009

Thanks to Rich Strauss and Buddha Shakyamuni.

You guys got my head right.

The guys at Endurance Nation provided great guidance on ironman execution. Coach Roach told a story about writing "patience" and "discipline" on his forearms, to remind himself not to blow up chasing cyclists too early in the day. Their mantra "
Race Day is about EXECUTION, not FITNESS.” is hammered home in their race kits at triathlonexecution.com, with both general strategy and detailed course guidance.

This morning I was reading Mahamudra Tantra by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. Mahamudra is a very specific set of meditation instructions intened to aid in the realization of the "very subtle mind", a supremly peaceful and powerful state of conciousness. Geshela makes reference to Jetsun Milarepa, a Tibetan Yogi, who attained Mahamudra Tantra without the instructions, but instead "through patience and determination".

(Parenthetically, Milarepa boasted of having “crossed in a few days, a distance which, before his training had taken him more than a month." He ascribed his gift to the clever control of ‘internal air’.)


This really is speaking to me. At this point I can do nothign further to improve my skills and abilities and fitness. Only through patiently applying my available abilities, knowing and then keeping concious of my purpose for racing, can i acheive a satisfactory result.

Kerrie asked me last week if i was ready, and why exactly I was doing this. I didnt have an answer then, but i think i have one now. As she suggested, the first reason I am doign this is because i can. And the reason that will get me through the day and the last, dark 6 miles of the marathon: becuase i can do this with a smile on my face, finishign happy and strong.

I need to start to think about packing.


No comments: